One of the best ways to get the most out of your membership with the Shelby County Chamber of Commerce is to take an active role in one of our committees. Below is a list of our committees, and a brief description of what each committee wishes to achieve. If you are interested in joining a committee, please contact our office.
To be eligible for a seat on a Chamber Committee you must be a Chamber member in good standing for at least three months and participate in various Chamber events.
John Leeper is the chair of the Education Committee.
This committee meets the first Thursday of the month at 9:00 a.m.
Identify, coordinate and support opportunities to enhance the total quality of education in Shelby County.
The purpose of the Education Committee is providing members with current information on educational opportunities available to the business and industry professionals of Shelby County. Additionally the committee will provide current and future Chamber members with the opportunity to achieve the level of knowledge and skill necessary to serve the public with competence and professionalism.
- Create and improve educational opportunities and curriculum's that meet the needs of our students and business community.
- Improve career planning for students.
- Scholarship Program: Promote technical education by awarding technical scholarships to high school graduates who intend to work in Shelby County.
- Workforce Development Program: Identify training needs of business, industry, and agriculture and develop programs to meet those needs.
- Partners in Education: Provide business links to offer financial, professional and/or educational support for students and students’ programs.
- Young Leaders Institute: Work with select group of Shelby County 10th graders to interact with community leaders to develop skills necessary to become leaders of tomorrow.
- Education Marketing: Promote Education Committee Programs and the need for quality education to our community, students and parents through all available media with an emphasis on the value of vocational/technical education.
- Shelby County Training Consortium: Partner with Shelby County Industrial Foundation and Shelby County Associated Industries to provide training to manufacturing partners through an educational consortium.