The Shelby County Chamber of Commerce partnered with Shelby County Industrial Foundation and Shelby County Associated Industries to fund a scholarship program for graduating seniors in the community as well as adult learners. With the desire to come back to Shelby County to make an impact on our community, we have selected community members to help award scholarships locally.
For the graduating class of 2020, we will begin to accept applications for students perusing a post secondary degree in a technical field. Content of the application requirements must be completed in their entirety to be considered.
Shelby County Chamber of Commerce
Application Deadline: May 5, 2020
The Shelby County Chamber of Commerce Scholarship is designed to assist a Shelby County student who intends to pursue a post secondary degree in a technical field. Preference will be given to applicants expressing a strong desire to return to Shelby County upon completion of training and/or attainment of the desired degree. The scholarship monies will be awarded toward tuition and/or required books used in the course work at an accredited institution.
The number of students awarded annually and the amounts of each scholarship will be determined by the Education Committee of the Shelby County Chamber of Commerce and will be based upon the amount of money in the Chamber’s Scholarship Fund. Scholarship stipends are paid to the institution one time at the beginning of the first term and are non-renewable. The scholarship must be used during the year for which it was presented. Scholarship recipients must notify the Shelby County Chamber of Commerce of their intent to use scholarship funds by August 1, 2020 or the scholarship will be withdrawn and the monies awarded to an alternate applicant.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be a senior.
- The applicant must have successfully completed a minimum of 4 credits within one career path at the Shelby County Area Technology Center, Shelby County High School, Martha Layne Collins High School or equivalent.
- The applicant must express a desire to obtain a career in Shelby County following their post secondary training.
- The applicant must be accepted in a program at an accredited institution.
- Applicants committing to a career based in Shelby County following their post secondary training will be given preferential treatment
Each applicant must submit the following:
- A Shelby County Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Application
- An official high school transcript
- A resume (not to exceed one page) including the following:
- Personal Data
- Career Objective
- School and Community Activities
- Work Experience
- Essay explaining your career plan (not to exceed one page)
*Prospective Applicants failing to submit the required materials by the due date will not be considered.
Each application will be reviewed by the Chamber of Commerce Education Committee/Scholarship Committee. Selections will be made on the basis of the application, resume, scholastic performance, and overall need. Winner(s) and alternate(s) will be selected. The completed scholarship application, transcript, and resume must be received or postmarked by May 5, 2020. All materials must be submitted in one envelope at the same time or the applicant will be disqualified. Mail or deliver to:
Shelby County Chamber of Commerce
316 Main Street
Shelbyville, KY 40065
2020 Adult Learner Recipients
Albert Jordan Jr
Career Path: Elementary Education
Career Path: Computerized Manufacturing and Machining